Sunday, April 3, 2011

compromise (ˈkɒmprəˌmaɪz)

Thanks to Dictionary.com














At my house I think the more accurate definition would go something like this...
1.  settling a dispute by making both parties unhappy.
     ex.:  "If you can't share, neither of you will have it."
2.  having one's way 50% of the time
     ex.:   "Give it to him, we're not interested in justice [compromise], we just want peace."  &  "You can't have it you'll break it!  Here, you can have it."

I have a friend with mad skills at finding common ground for her family member.  She would be a great ambassador to families like mine; bringing peace and contentment to the feuding peoples.  It's a great feat to be able to be objective in times of stress; to be an advocate to all and bully of none... I've yet to develop that skill for myself, let alone teach it to my children.  How much better and happier we would be if we could be a little less selfish, and a little more gentle in the daily approach to the boxing ring.

1 comment:

  1. Lizzie -
    What a great post. I have always implemented example number one. The phrase "Because I'm your mother and I said so" was also big.
    Here's to finding common ground in mediating situations.

    Anna :)

    ReplyDelete