Sunday, July 4, 2010

Phone Funny

Pranks... they're the epitome of boy humor!  But that what I grew up on.  At times I often laugh too readily at the antics of my boys (even the grown one.)  And at times I put on my girl cap and have a serious lack of fun running through my veins.  You never know which one you're going to get.  That having been said, I wonder if the woman in the punch line lacked imagination, humor and all the joy that in inherent in the make-up of a boy, or was she just having a, 'I'm trying to be a responsible mommy' moment.

So after a lengthy bike with my brothers (an adventure, to which I would have never entered, had I known how long a 10 minute ride in a vehicle really was) we caught up with a few of my brothers' friends.  We didn't have a plan for what were going to do, but somehow my brother noticed the the hook for the receiver stuck (we didn't PUT the gum there, I promise.)  But we weren't the kinda folk to let an opportunity pass us by.  Now Jay, being the eldest and wisest, knew the magic of the phone-line test.  (Which still eludes me to this day.)  You dial a certain number and the phone number of the phone.  Obviously there's no one on the other end of the line, but the phone rings... duh, duh, duh.  The thus, it began.  Let's make it ring, and when someone walks by and picks it up, it'll still ring...  Let's make it ring, and leave it hanging and watch peoples' reactions.  After about 1/2 an hour of having fun at other peoples' expense, a young rather cranky woman decided to be the responsible individual who would rescue innocent bystanders from the prank.  And in all her desire to sound intelligent and capable her best statement was, "They just put it that way."

Was she being a spoiled-sport of an active citizen?  Who cares, but thankfully our fun ended soon enough that we were able to get home the same day our bums the worse for the ware, and a little lighter for having stored a memory that would last a lifetime.
They put it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment