Monday, May 7, 2012

Destination: Middle of Nowhere

Typical TX plains view
Every year late in the spring family and friends are sharing their summer destinations.  I LOVE nature, I miss the Blue Ridge mountains, Great Falls, Sky Meadow, The Great Gully adjacent grandpas farm, sailing on the Finger Lakes in upstate NY, trips to The Outer Banks with my Aunt, hiking to Bridal Veil Falls with my mother.  It's such a joy to see all the our Father in Heaven created for us to see.  I'm blessed to have lived a life so full to have been able to witness all these.

The majority of my adult years are a bit less varied; every side of TX.  Don't get me wrong, I have a xeriscape garden and I'm learning to appreciate the arid plains!  And this year I truly couldn't be more grateful for the rain (last year Aug 9, 2011).  Don't misunderstand, there so much to LOVE about TX, cheap housing, employment, a great local church, family within 6-7 hours, plentiful Mexican food...  But I laughed heartily when I came across a native-Texan friend's pinterest board Anywhere but Texas; it's not just me after all!  And I guess most of all I would love to find somewhere hidden amongst the vast expanse of PRIVATE land that I can go to commune with nature... tumbleweeds and infestations of kittens somehow just don't seem to cut it!

So taking a cue from Scott's 8th birthday party for international spies, I'm on a mission!  I'm going to explore the few nature reserves like the Caprock Canyons, swim in the Greenbelt Reservoir, hike other parts of the Palo Duro Canyon, maybe even venture as far as Quanah to Copper Breaks , tip a cow or two...  By the end of this summer, I'm going to find my nature refuge and find somewhere bucket list worthy for even you to enjoy!  After all, the rose that blooms in the desert is the most beautiful after all !(Isa 35:1)

I think my destination will be
to find the beauty in all I see!-- me

No comments:

Post a Comment